Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Featured Artisan - Randee Lawrence

.
Title: Swan Song

White Calla

Under The Poppy

Painting With Flowers

    Biography
    Earth Rhythm Images
    By Randee Lawrence
    Photography has always been my way of connecting more deeply with the earth and nature.  I see photography as an intuitive process encompassing mind, body, heart and spirit that heightens the senses.  It has literally changed the way I look at the world.  Creating photographic images has deepened my awareness of my surroundings, drawing my attention to the subtle shifts in light, texture and color, seasonal changes and weather patterns.  While technique is important, the real artistry is in the emotional connection with the subject.
    I started as a film photographer in the 1970’s.  For many years my emphasis was on portraying the natural beauty of landscapes.  In recent years my focus has shifted from realistic or documentary photography to impressionistic images that convey a dreamlike quality somewhat like a watercolor painting. I achieve this with slow shutter speeds and close cropping.  I do minimal digital manipulation, as I believe in letting the natural form of the image speak for itself.  Two of my strongest influences have been Freeman Patterson, one of my teachers who taught me to see the “extraordinary in the ordinary”, and the artist Georgia O’Keeffe.  O’Keeffe painted flowers much larger than they were in reality because she wanted people to notice them.
    Through my work I hope to evoke an emotional connection that wakes up all of the senses and creates a heightened consciousness of the natural world.
    To see more images from this artist, visit her gallery at http://www.flickr.com/photos/randeelawrence/

No comments: