Friday, March 4, 2011

The Photography Critique - What Can I Learn?

.
Photography Advice Corner

Christoph:
I frequently ask for critiques from other amateur photographers, in hopes that I can learn to improve my images. One photographer tells me I should do one thing and another advises I should do another – especially how I should crop. I often feel that they are simply telling me how “they” would have taken an image, instead of commenting on the quality or composition of what I have created. – Michael Studebaker, Illinois.

Hello Michael...
Everyone is a critic. Unfortunately, even the best photographers can be the worst critics. They can create technically skilled and well defined images, but often find it difficult to explain what constitutes a good image – besides the usual buzz words of shape, form, contrast, texture, mood, emotional impact, rule-of-thirds, etc.
If ever we could get some of them to clearly define what it is they perceive, feel and why they compose an image in a specific way…we all would have a better understanding of what makes great photography.
There is a big difference between a critique and comments from a photographer of how “he/she” would compose the image. A critique of any value is first, about understanding what the originating photographer perceived and what emotions he or she felt about the subject or scene, and then making an impartial evaluation to address if the photographer successfully utilized and properly incorporated image elements, components and properties which define and present his vision and emotions.
To give a photographer, indeed any artist, examples of how “I’ would have composed an image, is of no value to the photographer asking for a critique. “My” perceptions, emotions and communication intentions are different from yours.
If another photographer is simply telling you how he or she would have taken or made the final image, instead of evaluating if you have achieved “presenting / composing” your perceptions and emotions effectively, in the finished composition, you won’t learn much.
.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

You are so right Christoph. When we see an image and specially think or asked to critique we naturally think in terms of how it could have been done differently and we gather that information from our own possible perspective of it.

But you are right critique is more about what is presented and then identifying what is good or bad about it.